D70 and ultraII 512 MB

Collapse
X

• Weergaveopties
  • Begin
Clear All

• D70 and ultraII 512 MB

Hey,
    I just bought a D70. As I would like to shoot in RAW I use a 512 ultra II compact flash card. When I insert the card, the D70 shows that I can take about 48 pictures.
    The correct number is about twice is much.
    Has anybody encountered this problem and know how to resolve it ?

Possible reasons I see :

1) The machine does not recognise a 512 MB ultra II and thinks it is a 256 MB one. Maybe a firmware upgrade could resolve this.

2) The machine does not take into account that RAW files are compressed into NEF's which are approximately half the size of the original RAW.

Main thing though : what's the solution ?

Thx

Re: D70 and ultraII 512 MB

Just start shooting and you'll see that the number will grow
    About every camera has trouble estimating the number of pictures left on a card... I don't know why though...
    Canon 10D, glass, flashes & extra's
    Fuji S602Z & extra's
    www.CooMa.be BD0176BE

Comment

1. "in-camera" format done?
      2. embedded JPG on ?

KR, Z
      Z900
      Canon 80D+1DMII 50MK1/70-200 2.8/400 5.6 // Sigma 15FE/50-500 // Tamron AF SP 90 2.8/28-75 2.8 Di // Kenko AF Pro 300 1,4x TC

Comment

1) Yes, I did the format in the camera.
        First I did it by pressing the two designaded buttons together.
        The screen started flashing but then the format seemed no to happen of was really fast. To make sure I did a format via the menu. Twice that is.
        I've put the card in my computer and it says 488 MB free (512.xxx Kbytes).

2) Yes, I use NEF + JPG but that can't really account for it ?
        The jpg is just a basic jpg.

Comment

This is a well known and documented issue, see for example many threads on dpreview.com and elsewhere.

For some reason the counter shows a very "conservative" estimate of the (minimum) number of pictures that will still fit the card. As the card fills, the estimate comes closer to reality (about double of whatever is displayed).

There is absolutely no limitation with respect to using the full capacity of the CF card!

René
          BD0337BE | Fujiholic | Bezoek mijn portfolio (en oudere) fotoblog en fujiblog

Comment

As the others have already indicated, this normal behaviour.

Why? NEF is a compressed RAW format, the level of compression depends heavily on diversity in the image.
            The counter of the D70 shows the minimal number of pictures still left on the card.

If you check in JPEG shooting mode, you will see the same thing happening. It shows 96 images or something, but you can actually fit about 150 most of the time.

Comment

Thx everybody for your replies.

Comment

Working...
              X