Geweerschoten en tranen

Collapse
X

• Weergaveopties
  • Begin
Clear All

• [Showcase] Geweerschoten en tranen

"Gun shots and tears"

"For a conservationist, the custodian of the natural environment and all of its beautiful creatures
    which coexist harmoniously, there's nothing more gut-wrenching than finding the carcass of a r.hino,
    shot and mutilated by axe, horns removed. The emotions are overwhelming, extreme anger and
    the feeling of helplessness drive you to the brink of insanity.

Sorry, there is something worse!

It's to have to terminate the life of a r.hino that has sustained gunshot wounds in a failed attempt
    to kill it for its horns. To have to kill the very animal that you've committed your life to protecting.

It's difficult for me to recall the events, and write this short piece without the emotions of the day swamping
    my thoughts. We stood together in absolute silence, Dr Rogers, my staff and rangers, and Jana our pilot.
    Before us lay a young r.hino bull, quivering, as the immobilising agent that he'd received took him to a
    painless comfortable space. I crouched next to his head, one hand on his horn and the other over his wide
    nostril, as I monitored his warm exhaled breath on the palm of my hand.

I could see the concern expressed on Doc Rogers' face, as he inserted an IV line behind the ear, and then
    moved around to assess the shattered front leg. The poacher's bullet had passed through the cheek muscle
    from the front, exited behind the jaw bone and passed through the upper leg, shattering the bone before exiting.
    Warm sticky blood flowed from the bullet wounds, covering the leg and shoulder. I knew there was no hope, but
    silently prayed that Doc Rogers would say something different. It was not to be, I hit rock bottom.

I stepped back, turned to the ranger who was closest to me and took his firearm. I saw some turn away,
    and wished I could too. I knelt down and looked at the beautiful creature through the cold iron sights,
    closed my eyes and squeezed the trigger. The shot rang out, the firearm rocked in slow motion, the sliding bolt
    ejecting the spent cartridge case forward through the muzzle flash, the dying r.hino squealed pitifully and fell silent.

I stood back, tears welled in my eyes, I wept and walked away to a quiet spot to ask for forgiveness.

I gathered myself, dried my eyes and returned to the silent gathering. The emotion had got to everyone.
    Standing silently, eyes closed, some with hats in hand on their harts, others staring at the ground, all with
    tear-stained faces. I guess it's because we're human and we care. Well, at least some of us do."

-- C. Rowles, Klaserie Reserve Chronicle no 42, December 2017

(lees aub verder na de foto)

De neushoorn uit het verhaal is niet de neushoorn in de foto. Dat wil ik niemand aan doen. Niemand zou zoiets
    ooit mogen te zien krijgen. Ook al is hij verwond; de kerel in de foto had meer geluk. De wonde is genezen,
    en hij loopt nog steeds rond ergens op het Klaserie reservaat.

Dit is mijn laatste foto van het jaar. Bij deze wens ik van ganser harte alle The Africa Bug klanten te bedanken.
    Mede dank zij hen zijn verhalen zoals hierboven dit jaar weeral iets zeldzamer geworden.
    Al is er nog veel werk aan de winkel.

Hun onrechtstreekse bijdrage (via reserve conservation levies, zeg maar een "entreegeld" tot het reservaat),
    en daarenboven een rechtstreekse bijdrage (25% van alle winst uit onze zaak), werden gebruikt om bvb de aankoop
    van speurhonden te bekostigen. Mechelse Schepers, jawel! Speciaal getraind voor dit doel.

Deze anti-stropers maatregel is de laatste van een hele reeks maatregelen om het stropen te stoppen.
    En het werkt. Want ook al is er al een slachtoffer gevallen op het moment dat de hond wordt ingezet, toch is er een
    positief resultaat. Vroeger was de stroper op tijd snappen - voor hij het reservaat uit is - nagenoeg onmogelijk.
    Maar met de speurhond is dat wel even anders. En het nieuws spreidt zich als een lopen vuurtje;
    "geen zin daar te stropen; je wordt gesnapt!"

Ik heb maar een wens voor volgend jaar. Dat is dat jullie het verschil blijven maken. Het maakt niet uit of jullie die
    safari boeken via The Africa Bug, of via een "concullega". Als jullie maar komen. We hebben jullie hard nodig.

Aan iedereen het beste voor 2018!

Jochen & Mira

(edit; de forum software verwijdert het Engelse woord voor neushoorn, vandaar het gebruik van "r.hino")
    http://www.theafricabug.com
Working...
X