No announcement yet.

Grey import warranty

Collapse
X

• Weergaveopties
  • Begin
Clear All

• Grey import warranty

First off, sorry for writing in English, just I have a question that I'd probably mess up if I tried in NL... :/

I went looking for a DSLR today, found a few places with cameras in stock, I think I've pretty much made up my mind on a D70 kit. Question is, has anyone had any problems with service from Nikon on imported cameras? Reason being, I'll probably bring one back from my native UK, some €200 difference on price (that's an extra lens!)
    My CP995 came from the UK, obviously a different beast, and less delicate I think. However, the warranty stated that it was a worldwide warranty, offering cover export. I'm just not so sure if by saving some € I might end up shooting myself in the foot if the DSLR needs a service or repair. Afterall, it's a camera I'll be using a fair amount as I'm stepping up my semi-pro workload.

Many thanks,
    Groeten,
    Trebs

www.trebledee.com
    www.vistapan.com

I believe NIKON has A European Warranty, or even worldwide, as long as you have a valid serial number (not reported stolen or something). I got this answer a few weeks ago, posting a similar question, but... not involving the UK.

Comment

I heard from the belgian importer of Nikon that a European camera is to be treated in warranty. If you would f.i. buy your camera in the USA, they won't treat the camera in warranty. However they can give you professional services for your camera and perform repairs .. but they will charge fot it.

There is one exception. If you are an american citizen, and you bought your cam in the USA, they will help you at no cost during your journey in Belgium while still in warranty and send the bill to Nikon USA

Comment

If you're going from UK to European mainland, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Your warranty is European, and for some items (I'd say pro stuff like D1/D2 series and certain lenses) even worldwide. I don't believe you can actually call it grey import - that would be if you bought/sold US market items in Europe, for example.

Funny that you can actually get a D70 cheaper in the UK. I know Jessops do price matching, but that would be assuming there are cheap dealers in the UK to price-match to. Or maybe you know someone on the inside...

If you ever need service on a Nikon dSLR, it wouldn't be a bad idea to take it back to the UK, actually. There's a very good official service provider that does Canon, Nikon and lots of other brands in Stoke-upon-Trent: Lehmanns (http://www.lehmannsdirect.co.uk/). All the pros go there, or so I'm told.

Your English is very good, BTW.
        Pieter
        --
        Fuji X-T1, Nikon D7200, Sony RX100-III -- (Flickr | PBase)

Comment

Working...
        X